Mr. Ulysses S. Williams received the franchise to provide telephone service in Pembroke when the city of Pembroke was incorporated in 1905. Mr. Williams was born about 1874 in Georgia. He was widowed at an early age and never remarried. Sometime afterward, Mr. Williams sold the water service to the city. During 1943, Mr. William's health was failing and he turned control of the company over to the Sullivan Family. They operated the company for a short time until Mr. Williams's health became even worse, at which point he sold the company to C. R. Sikes. Mr. Williams later died on May 29, 1945 in Bryan County. Mr. Sikes already owned the telephone company in Glennville, Georgia. The name of the company was changed to Sikes Telephone Company and was run by Mrs. Vivian Kitchens during the day. During this time, the telephone company was located on Bacon Street in Pembroke in a two story, brick building. The business office and the switchboard were located on the second floor.